The beginning of the winter Olympics is everyday closer. To get you ready for one of the biggest event of the year, here is a list of six curiosities you should know about Beijing 2022.
1. According to the covid-19 protocols revealed by the International Olympic Committee, the Beijing Winter Games will be held in a bubble, which will run from January 23 until the end of the Paralympic Winter Games on March 13. The measure will cover all stadiums and competition venues. Spectators will be allowed, but only if they live in mainland China.
2. Five venues for Beijing 2022 will be reused from the Beijing 2008 Olympic Summer Games.
3. Spectators visiting Beijing for the Winter Games will be able to use the brand-new high-speed railway to reach the mountain competition venues. During the Winter Olympics, spectators will be able to catch this high-speed train at the Beijing North Station. The travel time between Beijing and the Yanqing Competition Zone should take less than 30 minutes and the travel time between Beijing and the Zhangjiakou Competition Zone should take less than 50 minutes. The train reportedly can run up to 350 km per hour without a driver. This is said to be the world’s first “smart” train.
4. As Mascot, the Olympic mascot is a cheerful panda called Bing Swen Dwen. “Bing means ice and also symbolizes purity and strength, and “Dwen Dwen” represents children. The mascot embodies the strength and willpower of athletes and will help promote the Olympic Spirit. According to Olympic.org the Beijing 2022 Organizing Committee received over 5,800 mascot designs from around the world.
5. Beijing 2022 by numbers: 3 competition zones; 109 events; 7 Olympic Sports; 15 Disciplines; 50 minutes is the amount of time it will take to get to Zhangjiakou via high-speed train; 7 new events will take place; 5 venues will be reused from the Beijing 2008 Summer Games; 2,892 overall expected athletes; 1,314 is the highest number of women ever competing at the Olympic Winter Games.
6. Hosting the Olympics is something that many cities can only dream about. Beijing, however, is one of the lucky ones, and they will be hosting the Olympics for the second time. They are not the first city to host the Olympics Games more than once, but they are the first to host a Summer (2008) and Winter (2022) Olympics.
Now you’re ready! The Beijing 2022 Olympics Game will begin in February 4th and will end in February 20th , don’t miss it!